Since it is Valentine’s Day, a recipe for a pink food seems like a must so here is some pink pasta. I discovered this pasta comes out a lovely pink instead of the deep red I was expecting when I first decided to add beets to my pasta dough….don’t worry, it doesn’t taste like beets. It just gets it color from the beet.
While a pasta maker makes this recipes a heck of a lot easier, you can make pasta with a rolling pin (or wine bottle) and a ton of commitment to making a great dinner for your sweetie. This is another arm workout recipe!
Toss this pasta with fresh herbs, garlic, olive oil, and a little lemon and you have a wonderful handmade dish sure to impress even the toughest food lover this Valentine’s Day.
There are many tasty additions possible for this pasta dough – beet, garlic & basil, and squid ink are just a few.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup All Purpose flour
- ¾ cup semolina flour
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 – 2 cups water
- Squid Ink – 2 ½ tbsp
- Beet – 1 small roasted, pureed
- Garlic & Basil – 3 cloves crushed garlic, 1 – 2 tbsp dried basil
- Mix dry ingredients; mix olive oil, eggs, and any additions
- Pulse together in a food processor or mix with hands until a shaggy dough forms; knead until the dough is tight and bouncy when you pinch it, approx 3 minutes
- Rest 30 minutes
- Process through a pasta maker or roll with a rolling pin until desired thickness
- Cut into desired shape (pappardelle and fettucini are easy favorites)
- Cook in boiling water for 1 – 3 minutes or hang to dry completely before storing in an airtight container