Sticky rice and salty mango at Thai restaurants is pretty much my favorite sweet dish. I could eat it forever. Seriously, that stuff is heaven for me. The problem is making the sticky rice at home. I haven’t mastered it by any stretch of the imagination. Not by a long shot. That’s why I went out looking to recreate the flavors of this dish is a more accessible way. I want this dessert to be as easy as it is delicious. Enter the old favorite, rice pudding.
Rice pudding always makes me think of food for kids. It doesn’t really scream adult dish. But don’t be fooled, you can dress this up to make a really great morsel! Add the mango on top for a fresh juicy kick to compliment the rich creamy rice. Toasted coconut adds crunch and you are in business. A fast, easy, and sophisticated dessert in the time it takes to share a bottle of wine after dinner. Perfect!
Coconut Rice Pudding
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- 14 oz coconut milk
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Combine rice, milk, water, and sugar in a saucepan; bring to a boil
- Reduce to a simmer; cook, stirring frequently, over low heat until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, approximately 20 minutes
- Stir in coconut milk; return to simmer for about 5-10 minutes, until the liquid is thickened; cool slightly
- Toast the coconut in a pan; allow to cool slightly
- Serve rice pudding with toasted coconut and fresh ripe mango